OC

www.otherwise-cambodia.com

Travel in Cambodia OFF THE BEATEN TRACK

In the countryside family
In our cousin's home Samphois

On Se San Rive

OFF THE BEATEN TRACK

Market without tourists

Central Market Phnom Penh

Kep, Rabbit Island, Koh Thunsay
No comment !
We will explain
Angkor: The Bayon

Welcome Cambodia

        

OC Little Price Clic Here

Contact Us

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Join Us

        

Life

Mondulkiri is an eastern province of Cambodia

This is the smallest province by population density across the country despite being the largest province in Cambodia. The province is chock full of natural beauty, with thick forested mountains, powerful waterfalls and the green hills of the west coast without forgetting its elephants.
Despite the increasing deforestation, mainly because precious minerals, fertile soil in depth, the Mondulkiri still has one of the largest forests of Cambodia succession. Unless Sen Monorom, you will find the deep and pure jungle, with a wide variety of flora and fauna.
Sen Monorom is the provincial capital, which does not present itself as a typical Cambodian town. With around 7500 inhabitants, 20 guest houses, 12 restaurants, 3 bars and no post office, it is often compared to the American border towns of the Wild West. Regarding the peace and beauty of Sen Monorom people from other parts of the country to move here and the price of land has doubled from 2006 to 2007. The city of Sen Monorom is the best base camp for travelers who want to explore around. A quiet and beautiful city, nestled in the hills, it has a good potential to become a center for eco-tourism. At present, it is very undeveloped, which gives you a feeling to go somewhere off the beaten tourist track.
Add to that the communities of hill tribe people who are not affected by mass tourism, as they are in neighboring Thailand, and you have an area that is very attractive for adventure travelers. Also interesting is the variety of languages: Khmer, hill tribe languages, Vietnamese and Laotian. 80 percent of the population in Mondulkiri consists of ten ethnic minorities, with most of them being from the tribe of Chunchiet Phnongs. The remaining 20 percent are Khmer, Chinese and Cham Muslim. Most of the population lives off the land, planting rice, fruit trees and a variety of vegetables. Others grow: coffee nuts, strawberries, rubber and cashews.

 

The Mondulkiri is also the region that has the largest number of elephants. Our agency is organizing a trip for a day (or more). Every day the elephants but work only 3:00. We take care of elephants ...

Bathing with elephants

Little exercise

Worse than elephant hi!

You can also find huge waterfalls and beautiful, where you can shower as the impressive Bou Sraa or Bousra or called Boo Sra Waterfall. These falls are located at Pich Chinda District 43 km away from the provincial town accessible by the red dirt road. Boo Sra is the most beautiful waterfall in Modulkiri and divided into 3 stages:

 First stage: The waterfall has a diameter of 15 meters and 15 meters high by 20 meters in the rainy season, and the diameter of 20 meters and 18 meters height of 25 meters in the dry season. The second stage is at a distance of 150 meters from the first step.

  Second stage: The waterfall has a diameter of 23 meters and 15 meters high by 20 meters in the rainy season, and the diameter of 20 meters and 18 meters height of 25 meters in the dry season.

 Third stage: The waterfall has a higher speed than the second stage. This step can not be reached because localized in the thick forest, lack of means of transportation and it is dangerous because of having wild animals.

 

Descent into hell

Bousra side face

Bousra stack side

More and more houses are built in typical Khmer style. Visit hill tribes, you can still find the traditional houses Phnong. In homes, you can find traditional gongs and large jars in which it is said that the oldest are over a thousand years. There are different kinds of gongs used for different occasions. Jars and gongs are among the most valuable assets in an Aboriginal community, whether in traditional terms, spiritual or material. During the Khmer Rouge regime these objects were buried in hidden places in the jungle and in many cases they are still waiting in the ground

 

Discover the village of POUTAIN where the  Phnong live (ethnic majority). You'll see their long collective dwelling houses now abandoned in favor of more robust wooden houses, modernity obliges..

Catholic Mission

Phnong’s house

The countryside

 

Mondulkiri, its minorities, its waterfalls, elephants Mondulkiri